Here is an idea of what to bring for a hunt, and some guidelines to make your packing easier. All gear and supplies are transported on packhorses, which somewhat limits the size and weight of luggage or duffle bags. It is better to have several small bags than one large one. For the least disturbance to your gear, bags should be no larger than 14"X14"X22", and weigh no more than 40 pounds. There is a limit of two such bags per hunter, not including a sleeping bag. Should larger bags be provided, we must many times rearrange and redistribute the clothing and gear to obtain proper size and balance suitable for horse packing. Fragile or sensitive items such as video cameras, glass containers, etc. require special attention. We pride ourselves in our ability to transport almost anything by horse packing, and are always happy to do so; you can help by providing reasonable loads to be packed safely.
- 1 pair of cotton socks for each day
- 1 pair of wool socks for each day
- Long underwear tops and bottoms
- Jeans/ t-shirts
- Long-sleeve shirts, both heavy and light weight
- Warm, quiet coat *we suggest wool
- Warm, quiet, heavy pants *we suggest wool
- Warm hunting hat or baseball cap with earflaps
- Light, quiet raingear
- Gloves, 1 pair light and 1 pair heavy
- 1 pair of comfortable insulated boots and 1 pair of comfortable camp shoes/boots to change into
- 1 fluorescent orange garment to be worn visibly. Hat, coat, or vest.
Notice the suggestion of quiet clothing: Many new materials on the market claim to be windproof, waterproof, and warm. Sadly, much of the materials used in these items are noisy, and our game animals hear extremely well. Please keep this in mind when purchasing or selecting clothing and raingear for your hunt.
- Scoped rifle and ammo
- Pocketknife or belt knife
- Leatherman tool or similar pocket tool for emergency repairs
- Small flashlight to be carried on your person while afield
- Toiletries, medication
- Small travel alarm clock
- Water bottle
- Hunting license with conservation stamp must be carried on your person at all times